Image Map

Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Beliefs on Education...


The Primary Gal posted a great challenge and I decided to take that challenge.

So I became a teacher because I believe...
1.  All kids can learn, just not the same way.  I feel many teachers would say that the word differentiation is overused, however it is the best way to sum up my belief.  I believe that teachers have to give time to all children and figure out the best way they can learn.  In the younger grades, kids can't tell you I am an auditory or a visual learner, but through talking with them about their likes and dislikes you can get a great idea of what might work for them.

2.  Engagement is the key to getting kids excited to learn!  I went to the best session at the I Teach 1st conference in Vegas by Hope King at Elementary Shenanigans.  Her session was about Setting the Stage to Engage!!!  And boy did she do that.  We has teachers were overly engaged in her session, by her putting that extra effort into her presentation.  Engagement doesn't have to cost you a lot, however your reward will be great.  And if you do want to spend a little, check out the great teacher spots, Dollar Tree and Target!  A few dollars can provide return in your investment!

3. If you love what you do, your students will benefit.  I am a non-traditional teacher.  Ever since I was little, I wanted to be a teacher.  However, in college I chose a different route and went into Community Health.  After working in that area for 8 years, I realized that life was too short and you should follow your dreams.  So I went back to school, driving to Chicago weekly for 2 years all while working a full-time job.  Why?  Because I knew I was meant to be a teacher!  I love being a teacher, I love seeing my students excited and wanting to learn more!  When they can see that I love it, it makes them want to love it as well!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you followed your dreams to become a teacher. I am sure your students benefit from your passion for teaching.

    ReplyDelete